Tuesday, February 2, 2010

... I don't pick Avatar to win.

There's big news this morning, and it doesn't have to do with a shadow in Pennsylvania.

The nominees for the 82nd Academy Awards were just made public.  One thing you might notice is instead of the typical five noms for Best Picture, this year Oscar opens his arms and welcomes ten films into the race. This gives several films a chance for that coveted statue that, had they been released a year earlier, would have surely been brushed over. Not to say the winner will be A Serious Man or even Pixar's animated Up, but with the Best Picture nomination comes a great deal of... well, I don't know what, but it's kind of a big deal.  Best Picture nominees are: Avatar, The Blind Side, District 9, An Education, The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds, Precious, A Serious Man, Up, & Up In The Air. The Academy passes on Crazy Heart, A Single Man, Invictus, and a handful of other movies that many had predicted might be thrown into the pool of ten nominees; but, overall, the nominations don't come with too many surprises.


My picks? It's hard to say when I've yet to see An Education, The Blind Side, Precious, and Up. My favorite movie from 2009 was District 9, but I wouldn't have guessed it would make it into Oscar territory. A Serious Man was another top pick for me, but, again, I don't see another statue in the Coens' future. I suppose I'll vote for The Hurt Locker or maybe Inglorious Basterds for Best Picture. If Avatar wins, I might just boycott next year.

On kind of a silly note, check out the Razzie nominations, which honor this year's (and this decade's) worst performances on the silver screen. Sandra Bullock could possibly take home an Oscar for The Blind Side and a Razzie for All About Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment